Thursday, March 29, 2012

UGH. (Utterly Grueling Horror)

That sums up my second-to-the-last law school finals season. It’s the mostest when it comes to degree of exhaustion, not because of the subjects, but because of scheduling issues. I only had three subjects with final exam components and boy, were they difficult. On the 26th I had Private International Law, Labor 2 on the 27th and Crim2 on the 28th. Back-to-back-to back. Tsk. It’s the first time that such misfortune befell on me. Usually there’s at least a day in between. I know, I shouldn’t be complaining because finals is just a measure of how well you learned during the sem, and if you studied your lessons and prepared for every class, you should have no problem reviewing for the exams, but me being me… I always said that it’s not a review if you’re viewing everything for the first time. Oh, well. Lesson learned: Take the core subjects with your block. Anghirap lang mag-schedule kapag Miss International ang drama mo. It’s too late for me to even think about this, no?

Let’s see. Where did things go wrong (aside from the not-so-ideal study habit that I have formed over the years)? Yes, I never run out of excuses. But seriously, not everything is my fault.

1. PRIL, Monday, March 26, 6PM –- I have no major issue about PRIL since I did study for this subject more than any other this sem. I love the subject (despite being esoteric most of the time), I love the Prof (despite being esoteric all the time). But he usually asks for provisions verbatim during exams, and a dissenting opinion on his favorite case, Aznar vs Garcia. What did me in was the fact that it was not known whether he would give a take-home exam or not, so I spent the entire Sunday studying. Only to find out on exam time that it’s gonna be take-home, due at 11AM the following day. It went downhill from there. I take it back. PRIL was a major, major issue.

2. Labor 2, Tuesday, March 27, 6PM –- I spent most of Monday evening and Tuesday morning working on the PRIL exam. It wasn’t easy. I swear I did not sleep a wink. The rest of the day was spent stuffing my brain with mostly familiar labor law concepts. The exam was reasonable, but I was too sleepy and distracted. Strange, there was a debate inside my head as to which I’ll Never Fall In Love Again version was better -– Dionne Warwick’s or The Carpenters’. During the effing exam. And I thought Tin was weird for her random musings (e.g., how to study better for future exams). So I guess I now belong to that bunch of crazy people who think about anything and everything during exams except the answers. WTF. I still think I’m not as crazy as April though, who thinks of why she’s taking the exam in the first place. Haha.

3. Criminal Law 2, Wednesday, March 28, 6PM -– Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. How do I describe this? Just terrible. Horrendous. Brutal. I was weeping inwardly, even entertaining the thought of turning in a blank blue book. Mental block gripped me, and felonies and their elements from all 14 titles of the Revised Penal Code’s second book were swirling randomly inside my head. I was dizzy with sleepiness as I only had four hours of sleep the night before, the only sleep I got since Sunday evening. The pain and disappointment was so intense, even graver than a break up. Or maybe I’m just a nerd.

For now I can only hope for a miracle, and rely on the kindness of professors. I feel a little better, thanks to Tin, Gian, and April who relented when I invited them to drink despite their own upcoming exams.

Oh. I think this version is better, by the way. 



Ma-connect lang…

What do you get when you cram exams?
You only get wrong answers and singko
So for at least until tomorrow
I'll never cram exams again
No, no, I'll never cram exams again.



P.S.
There was a case in Crim 2 (Gallego vs Sandiganbayan, G.R. No. L-57841 July 30, 1982) where the accused officers of Board for Marine Engine Officers were charged with violation of Republic Act No. 3019 (Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act) for giving a passing grade to an examinee who only wrote recitals of “Hail Mary” and “Our Father” on his exam paper. Gosh. I should feel better about my self.



2 comments:

  1. Haynako mare. Yun lang din ang konsuwelo ko. Magagawa ko na finally ang aking SLR. Heehee. :)

    ReplyDelete

Something to say?