Tuesday, November 13, 2012

you take my breath away

Ventolin you cause me so much grief
Having asthma it can be so annoying
Yeah but at least you haven't got other diseases and shit
 

Yesterday I had the worst asthma attack ever. Well, physically or medically, at least. In my book, nothing beats the panic-induced asthma attack when I got called to recite in Physics class in 4th year high school. So effing embarrassing. I think I scared the shit out of my teacher and she never called me to recite again. I could have done that in law school. Haha.  

So yesterday. I barely had sleep the night before because of incessant coughing and immense difficulty in breathing. It felt like only ¼ of my lungs is functioning. I didn’t even want to sleep, I was so scared my respiratory system would stop working altogether (praning lang). In the morning my condition did not improve one bit despite the capsules of cough medication I’ve taken so I texted my boss that I won’t be able to report for work, which is almost felonious, since it was manic Monday. I spent the whole day trying to sleep but instead I twisted and turned and coughed like hell and gained nothing from the experience except back pains from the day-long bed abuse and abdominal cramps because of the cough. I swear coughing is almost as good as crunches. Magkaka-abs ka talaga.

At around 4PM the congestion went from bad to worse and it felt like there was a massive boulder on my chest, I thought I would die. I decided to drag myself to school and drop by the Infirmary so I could make it alive for my 6PM class.

In UP, the Infirmary is derisively called "Infirmatay" so going there is not the most attractive idea if you are having health problems. Pero kung feeling mo mamamatay ka na, huwag ka nang choosy. I was a bit surprised since they are now better equipped and maintained. And they have a nebulizer. Yay.

They made me use the aforesaid nebulizer for 30 minutes. Didn’t work. They made me lie in bed, put a tube through my nostrils and turned on the oxygen tank. I had it for an hour I think before they gave me another dose of nebulizer. While breathing through the oxygen tank. Fun.

I was bored, okay?

I got out after four hours, and this:

Doctor: Anong gamot ang iniinom mo?
Me: For asthma? Wala po.
Doctor: Anong wala e ang sama ng hika mo. Nakadalawa (nebulizer) ka nga e.
Me: Dati po Ventolin pero high school pa ako nun.
Doctor: O, bumili ka ulit.
Me: Eh… (Wah, ayokooooo!!!)
Doctor: Kakailanganin mo yan. Anong year ka na ba?
Me: Graduating po.
Doctor: May bar review pa. Naku, mahihirapan ka talaga.


So after 15 years, I'm getting back together with my high school sweetheart.
Dapat talaga palitan na yung inscription sa may lobby ng Malcolm Hall.

Warning: Law school is dangerous to your health.



Now playing: The Asthma Playlist.

A is for Asthma – Kate Nash


No Air – Jordin Sparks feat. Chris Brown


Breathless – The Corrs


You Take My Breath Away – Rex Smith


Barely Breathing – Duncan Sheik







2 comments:

  1. waaah i hope with the meds you're feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better na, but I hate the fact that I have to use an inhaler again. :(

      Delete

Something to say?