Thursday, February 14, 2013

A Hearty Breakfast


6:44AM. I woke up to a friend’s* call saying she’s outside my apartment. She’s in her jogging outfit, I could tell from the way she looked that she’s tired. Not from the physical exhaustion brought about by jogging, but by something else. She rarely calls me except to berate me about my indiscretions, and finding her near my place is very uncommon to say the least. She’s tired, alright. Mentally, emotionally.

“Can we have breakfast? Treat ko.”

“Okay. I have work at 8:30 though.”

“Okay lang, we’ll be quick.”

A few steps down the road she asked, “Have you ever kissed somebody else while you are in a relationship with someone?”

“Uhm… My parents? Do you seriously have to ask?”

And she went off ranting about her significant other who did just that seven months ago, had a slip last night and inadvertently confessed.

Oh I know how that feels. Sucks man. We have an almost identical view of love, as a verb,** a conscious effort, something you decide to do and continually fight for.

“There were a lot of temptations, but I did not act on them because I was with him. Nangyari na rin sayo yun di ba? You get attracted to people…”

“Uhm, no. I don’t even get to have crushes. Seriously. Nasa isang tao na yung heart ko e kaya hindi na nagfu-function for others. Boom! Hahaha.”

“Talaga lang a. Haha. Pero you get my point, right?”

“Oo naman.”

“Tangina. Tangina talaga. We agreed that if there’s a third party we’d be honest with each other. Tangina. I mean, every time we kiss or have sex, he could be thinking of that other person.”

And various other angry expletives from her end.

“Chill ka lang. There’s no use being angry. Ikaw lang ang mada-damage e, hindi naman yung kinagagalitan mo.”

We walked out of the fastfood and everywhere there were flowers for sale.

“Shit. Fucking Valentines. Shit.”


************



Several hours later, over BBM.


 
“Good job to us! I’m feeling great right now. Okay na ako sa idea na hiwalay na kami. Yehey!”

“Hahaha. May relapse pa yan, trust me.”

“Actually, wala na. I don’t need anyone who couldn’t give me the same kind of loyalty and respect I give him. Life is too short to spend with someone like that.”

“Amen.”




*identity withheld upon request

**"My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.” 1 John 3:18








No comments:

Post a Comment

Something to say?