Monday, February 18, 2013

Amalayer

I’m not a liar. I prided myself in always telling the truth, no matter how much it hurt. Perhaps it’s not out of strict morality shiz, but more for my convenience. It is hard to lie, there’s always the danger of making a slip somewhere along the way. One of my favorite sayings is “If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.”* And I also think trust is like Humpty Dumpty. If you break it, all the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put it together again. LOL. But seriously. People get surprised when they find out I’m taking up law because lawyers are liars, and since I’m not a good liar I won’t be a good lawyer. Woot. Logic. But there is some grain of truth in this. As Prof. T said in one of his lectures ages ago, legal truth is very different from moral truth. I still find it hard to reconcile this. I’m not sure if I ever will. 

Well, I guess the correct thing to say is "I was not a liar." For the past few weeks I have spun a web of untruth. The lies I’ve told, albeit unintentionally, are now catching up with me. I should have listened to my friends. But no, I was an askwhole.** The road to hell is indeed paved with good intentions.

What they said:

“Don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

“Ginawa mo yan sa sarili mo e.”

“Ikaw kasi. Tsk, tsk, tsk.”

“Honesty is the best policy. Always!”

“We make choices and live with the consequences.”


Yes, you succeeded in messing me up. I’m messed up (that’s a given), but I mean, more than the usual.

Oh well. The only thing left to do is repair the damage and resurrect the idealist version of myself while learning to accept that the world isn't black or white.





*Mark Twain
** A person who asks for your advice, yet always does the opposite of what you told them.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Something to say?