Tuesday, April 02, 2013

SAP # 2: Spelunking

Pamitinan Cave, Rodriguez, Rizal (February 24, 2013)

If you like going down and dirty, getting wet, and squeezing into narrow holes, you should definitely try spelunking (Nyahaha. What were you thinking?!).

Last February, I sent Fredda, a friend I knew in Malcolm, a message asking if I could join her ramblings. Luckily, she was then planning a day trip to Rizal and tagged me along.

We went to Wawa Dam in Brgy. San Rafael, Rodriguez, Rizal. The view was fantastic. Too bad I didn't get to take pictures because I didn't bring a camera, my phone died before we even got there, and the people I was with are not my Facebook friends (If it’s not on FB, it didn’t happen. LOL.) so I’m posting a link to a blog post about Wawa Dam /Pamitinan Cave instead. 

the only photo I have of the trip
It was an easy walk from the Rodriguez Tourism Office to the riverside, then we took a raft to cross the river and get to the foot of the mountain and ascended the slightly steep trail leading to the cave’s opening. It was then that I realized that I was inappropriately dressed for the adventure in my white shirt, denim shorts and walking shoes. I seriously thought it would just be a walk in the park. But Pamitinan Cave is dark, narrow, slippery and wet. There’s a stream we had to wade and narrow passageways we had to squeeze through to get from one cavern to another.

The highlight (I think) of the experience was getting to Bulwagan ni Bonifacio, a chamber where Andres Bonifacio and other Katipuneros held their secret meetings. Getting inside the cave was so arduous I thought Ka Andres should be proclaimed national hero for going through all that trouble. The National Historical Commission declared the cave as a national historical site in 1996. 

So it's not historic if it's not declared as such? Pffsh.
After almost two hours, we emerged from the cave drenched and muddied. My head ached from hunger, fatigue and all the bumps I had, but I had so much fun not a word of whining left my mouth (which is unusual). We also did a little side trip to a rivulet where the others went for a dip. Afterwards we asked our guide, Kuya Manuel, to cook for us and we had a sumptuous dinner of fried tawilis, fresh tomatoes, and sautéed corned beef with kamote.

The trip cost us Php400++, a meager amount considering the orgasmic adventure that we experienced. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Something to say?