Friday, May 31, 2013

Mabuti pa ang biglaang lakad, natutuloy.

Naujan, Oriental Mindoro (May 18 and 19, 2013) 


At the beach, life is different. 
A day moves not from hour to hour but leaps from mood to moment.
We go with the currents, plan around the tides, follow the sun.
We measure happiness by nothing we can hold... 
nothing we can catch…
Life is jumping and elusive and momentously momentary.
We want to [stretch] the days, distill the memories, make them last.
At the same time, we know that the beauty is in the evanescence.
Every wave comes in, then retreats.
Every day promises, then turns its back and slips away.
Every joy has a little tease in it, a give and a take, 
and leaves a wake of longing.
*captions from How to Live At the Beach by Sandy Gingras


My good friend Dennis was longing for sand and sea. He has been so stressed out with work, he is getting married soon, his fiancee is out of town. I think that's the main source of his agitation -- poor guy doesn't know what to do without his boss. :-) He was planning to go to Batangas for a day trip, then our officemate Vic invited him to Mindoro as he was scheduled to go home for the weekend. Luckily, I was then traipsing around their work area bringing the bittersweet news of my accepted resignation and so I got invited to join them. In hindsight, I think it was just a “Pinoy” invitation, one that’s not to be taken seriously, but I was either too happy or just plain dense to notice. So a couple of days later I found myself sailing business class (oo, mehganun) to the port of Calapan.
Naujan is a good forty-minute jeepney ride from Calapan. We didn’t know what to expect because aside from Puerto Galera and tamaraws, we didn’t really have any knowledge of what Mindoro has to offer. It’s good, in a way, because it diminished the room for disappointment and allowed us to be more receptive to new experiences. 

The stillness that welcomed us when we got to Vic’s place was unbelievable. “Nakakabingi ang katahimikan,” Dennis exclaimed. Even the sea was silent, the absence of waves made it look like a lake.

Vic's "backyard"
Ang puputi pa namin dito. Hehe.
After a sumptuous breakfast, we took a boat to the island farthest from Vic's. Good thing the waters were calm, otherwise I would have panicked from the hour-long ride.
Ang sagwan. Bow.
Secluded island. White sand. Pristine waters.
We swam (or they did, I floated haha) for hours, then we went further into the island and took a dip at a tiny falls.
Freshwater, yey!
Night came and we set up a bonfire by the beach. The sea, which I regard as frightening at night, was unusually serene. There was no violent crashing of waves, only a gentle rolling of foam on the shore which eventually lulled us all to sleep.
Apoy sa dagat. That's an ABS soap? Ooops.
It's been a while since I went on an out-of-town trip with workmates (like, six years ago?) and seeing them in a different context is always a delightful experience. Now that I'm leaving the company that had been my home for seven years, I hope to still get invited to their escapades, out-of-town or otherwise.
Time to go home now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Something to say?