Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Puppet*

If for a moment God would forget 
that I am a rag doll and give me a scrap of life, 
possibly I would not say everything that I think, 
but I would definitely think everything that I say.
I would value things not for how much they are worth 
but rather for what they mean.

I would sleep little, dream more. 
I know that for each minute that we close our eyes 
we lose sixty seconds of light.
I would walk when the others loiter; 
I would awaken when the others sleep.
I would listen when the others speak, 
and how I would enjoy a good chocolate ice cream.

If God would bestow on me a scrap of life, 
I would dress simply, 
I would throw myself flat under the sun, 
exposing not only my body but also my soul.
My God, if I had a heart, 
I would write my hatred on ice 
and wait for the sun to come out. 
With a dream of Van Gogh 
I would paint on the stars a poem by Benedetti, 
and a song by Serrat would be my serenade to the moon.

With my tears I would water the roses, 
to feel the pain of their thorns 
and the incarnated kiss of their petals...

My God, if I only had a scrap of life...

I wouldn't let a single day go by 
without saying to people I love, that I love them. 
I would convince each woman or man 
that they are my favorites 
and I would live in love with love.

I would prove to the men how mistaken they are in thinking 
that they no longer fall in love when they grow old -- 
not knowing that they grow old when they stop falling in love. 
To a child I would give wings, 
but I would let him learn how to fly by himself. 
To the old I would teach that death 
comes not with old age but with forgetting. 

I have learned so much from you men....

I have learned that everybody 
wants to live at the top of the mountain 
without realizing that true happiness 
lies in the way we climb the slope.

I have learned that when a newborn 
first squeezes his father's finger in his tiny fist, 
he has caught him forever.
I have learned that a man 
only has the right to look down on another man 
when it is to help him to stand up. 

I have learned so many things from you, 
but in the end most of it will be no use 
because when they put me inside that suitcase, 
unfortunately I will be dying.


translated by Matthew Taylor and Rosa Arelis Taylor

*Attributed to Gabriel Garcia Marquez, but...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Something to say?